Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Tom Hanks Pulls a Forrest Gump While Filming New Movie
- Read the Cover Story: How Blake Shelton Is Moving On After Split
- Taylor Swift is the New Queen of Instagram!
- French Train Attack Hero Expected to Make Full Recovery: 'He's Quite A Fighter'
- Yolanda Foster Reveals Daughter Bella Hadid and Son Anwar Have Battled Lyme Disease
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 27, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 3
Thirty Years After Starring in Sounder, Former Kid Actor Kevin Hooks Revisits His Past by Directing the Remake
Thirty-two years later, after establishing himself as a director on such series as St. Elsewhere, ER and Philly, he retains indelible memories of Sounder and its making. The Depression-era tale of a black sharecropper family earned Oscar nominations for Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield, and Hooks himself was nominated for a Golden Globe. "It all still resonates," said Hooks, now 44. "I wanted to re-experience it."
He got his wish, directing the remake airing Jan. 19 on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney. To Winfield, this time playing a teacher, Hooks "is still Kevin, the bright young boy." A father of three and married to Cheryl, 44, a media consultant, Hooks, son of actor Robert Hooks, 65, and retired state worker Yvonne, 63, has held on to the tattered script he studied more than 30 years ago. "This is the only thing I kept from the original. I want to have it and the new script bound together."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!