Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian West Busts Out Her Blonde Wig Again for Night Out with Kendall Jenner
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Polish Olympian Auctions Off His Silver Medal to Pay for a Young Boy's Medical Bills
- WATCH: The Final Five Are Back With Gold! Did They Feel Safe in Rio?
- Serena Williams Keeps Every Bra She Wins a Major In (Wouldn't You?)
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 27, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 3
Thirty Years After Starring in Sounder, Former Kid Actor Kevin Hooks Revisits His Past by Directing the Remake
Thirty-two years later, after establishing himself as a director on such series as St. Elsewhere, ER and Philly, he retains indelible memories of Sounder and its making. The Depression-era tale of a black sharecropper family earned Oscar nominations for Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield, and Hooks himself was nominated for a Golden Globe. "It all still resonates," said Hooks, now 44. "I wanted to re-experience it."
He got his wish, directing the remake airing Jan. 19 on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney. To Winfield, this time playing a teacher, Hooks "is still Kevin, the bright young boy." A father of three and married to Cheryl, 44, a media consultant, Hooks, son of actor Robert Hooks, 65, and retired state worker Yvonne, 63, has held on to the tattered script he studied more than 30 years ago. "This is the only thing I kept from the original. I want to have it and the new script bound together."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!