- WATCH AND SHOP: A Chic Way to Show Your State Pride
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- WATCH: Ivanka Trump on Donald, Marriage and Motherhood: 'I'm a Daughter, Not a Clone'
- Kim Kardashian Reveals Saint Said 'Dada,' but Admits She 'Wanted Him to Say Momma First'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- January 27, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 3
Thirty Years After Starring in Sounder, Former Kid Actor Kevin Hooks Revisits His Past by Directing the Remake
Thirty-two years later, after establishing himself as a director on such series as St. Elsewhere, ER and Philly, he retains indelible memories of Sounder and its making. The Depression-era tale of a black sharecropper family earned Oscar nominations for Cicely Tyson and Paul Winfield, and Hooks himself was nominated for a Golden Globe. "It all still resonates," said Hooks, now 44. "I wanted to re-experience it."
He got his wish, directing the remake airing Jan. 19 on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney. To Winfield, this time playing a teacher, Hooks "is still Kevin, the bright young boy." A father of three and married to Cheryl, 44, a media consultant, Hooks, son of actor Robert Hooks, 65, and retired state worker Yvonne, 63, has held on to the tattered script he studied more than 30 years ago. "This is the only thing I kept from the original. I want to have it and the new script bound together."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!