- Jessica Simpson Throws Her Son Ace Knute a Dinosaur-Themed 3rd Birthday Party
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Navy Seal Killed While Using Autopilot in Self-Driving Tesla Vehicle
- Adnan Syed's Younger Brother Says, 'We've Waited 20 Years for Justice' After New Trial Ordered
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- April 28, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 16
A Former Break-Dancer Makes Good by Spinning into Prime Time on George Lopez and American Family
Marie, 37, costars in two series—as homemaker Angie Lopez on ABC's George Lopez sitcom and as attorney Nina Gonzalez on PBS's drama American Family.
How she manages both: "T get as much sleep as possible. When I get home, I have just enough energy to lay out my clothes and go to bed."
Her idol: Lynda Carter. "Wonder Woman was on TV when I was growing up, and I knew Lynda Carter was part Latina. It gave me a great sense of pride."
Her big break: Break-dancing. At 19, Constance Marie Lopez, a third-generation Los Angeleno, was spotted at a club by David Bowie's choreographer and hired as a dancer on Bowie's 1987 tour. That led to parts in 1988's Salsa and the short-lived TV version of Dirty Dancing.
Name dropper: Why did she lose her surname? "There are so many Lopezes," she says. "It's like Smith."
He said, she said: Marie and yoga teacher Kent Katich, 39, met seven years ago in acting class. He: "I was attracted by her short, little dress." She: "It wasn't short!" He: "It was short." She: "Okay, I was the floozy of the acting class—NOT!"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!