Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kidnapped 15-Year-Old California Girl Still Missing After Kidnapper Is Fatally Shot by Police
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Size-28 Fashion Blogger Hits Out at 'Trolls' who Body Shamed Her for Wearing a Swimsuit
- The Very Best Celebrity Food Photos of the Week
- T.I.'s 'Heart Is Heavy Today' as Troy Ave Arrested and Charged in Concert Shooting After Video Shows Rapper Firing Gun
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 05, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 17
Against the Grain
Dr. Robert Atkins, the Controversial Diet Advocate, Staked His Rep on Steak and Bacon
"I want him to be remembered for his courage," says Veronica Atkins, 65, his wife of 15 years. "He was fighting no matter how much abuse they heaped on him." Atkins defended his diet against critics like low-fat proselytizer Dr. Dean Ornish and prescribed it to the patients he saw in his Manhattan clinic four days a week until his death. Finally, in 2002 a study of 53 women suggested, cautiously, that Atkins might be on to something. "The amount of carbohydrate in the diet has important indications," says Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the department of nutrition at Harvard, now conducting a long-term study. "That doesn't mean high animal fat is good for you."
An Ohio native, Atkins first tried cutting carbs in 1963, to drop the 30 lbs. he gained while at Cornell medical school. He lost 27 lbs. in six weeks. When he shared his diet with the world, famished fans cheered: His plan might baffle science, but at least you could enjoy a bacon cheeseburger (hold the bun).
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!