Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Was Little People, Big World's Zach Roloff Most Nervous about on His Wedding Day?
- Read the Cover Story: Inside Blake & Miranda's Shocking Split
- Proud Grandpa Prince Charles Transforms His Garden Into a Royal Playground: 'He Comes Alive Around Little George'
- Devon Sawa Challenges Nick Carter Over Who Had the Best '90s Center-Parted Bowl Cut (and We Kinda Started the Feud)
- Kaitlyn Bristowe Blogs About Shawn Booth's Bachelorette Proposal: 'My Heart Felt Like It Was Going to Explode'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 26, 2003
- Vol. 59
- No. 20
A Former White House Aide Links JFK to a Mystery Woman Named Mimi
He was a terribly attractive man. Most women found that if he smiled in their direction or said something that even indicated that he was personally aware of the fact they had a name and they were an individual, it set you up for the next week or two.
Gamarekian got a sense of JFK's relationship with Mimi while at the American Embassy in Dublin in 1963.
[Presidential aide] Dave Powers came up to Pierre and told him the President was just furious! He (the President) had gotten a call from Mimi...who had been left back in the United States, was in tears...because the older woman in our office, Helen Gans, had not permitted her to have that Friday off, and that if the President were back in Washington, Dave said, Helen Gans would be fired this very instant. Well, obviously [Mimi] did have sort of a special relationship...To get through directly to the President...was a little unusual.
Mimi's presence did not go unnoticed.
A girl wasn't in the office very long before the press began to ask why she was there...because Mimi had no skills. She couldn't type.... but Mimi, who obviously couldn't perform any function at all, made all the trips!
One was to Nassau, where Salinger and another aide glimpsed the top of a small head in one of the cars in JFK's entourage.
They thought there was a little child sitting in the front seat...They walked over and looked in, and here seated on the floor was Mimi...so she wouldn't be seen by anyone. She'd been there [in Nassau] apparently for several days.
It was kind of a big joke. Everyone knew about it.... He must have felt...there was no possibility that this would ever hit print.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!