Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Bobbi Kristina Brown: Inside the Troubled Life of Whitney Houston's Daughter
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Bobbi Kristina & Nick: Their Love in Photos
- Cat Uses Husky as Bed Because Why Not? (VIDEO)
- Justin Timberlake's Changing Looks!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Sunday February 01, 2015 05:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 11, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 6
Picks and Pans Review: What the World Needs Now Is Love
The title song of this album is not the great Burt Bacharach/Hal David pop tune that Dionne Warwick made famous. This "What the World Needs" was written by Brett James and Holly Lamar and, like the rest of this regrettable album, it is mundane. "Burning Love," however, is indeed a new version of the Dennis Linde tune that was a signature song for Elvis Presley, and including it was the best idea Wynonna and coproducer Dan Huff had for this 14-track set. That song alone allows her to sound energetic and soulful rather than derivative and pretentious. "Sometimes I Feel Like Elvis" seems particularly uninspired (though Wynonna does sound vaguely like the King). Elsewhere she seems to be channeling Cher ("It's Only Love") and Mariah Carey ("It All Comes Down to Love"). Wynonna's mom and former singing partner, Naomi Judd, does brighten things up a bit on the duet "Flies on the Butter (You Can't Go Home Again)," lending the self-consciously rootsy tune some much-needed credibility.
BOTTOM LINE: Woeful Wynonna
- Ralph Novak,
- Chuck Arnold.
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!