Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan and More Invited to Join Academy in Largest, Most Diverse Class Yet
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- After Kids Are Cruelly Mocked for Swimming in a Truck Bed, Good Samaritan Responds by Giving Away Inflatable Pools
- Newly Single Ariel Winter Shares Naked Bathtub Photo: 'Relax Everyone I'm Wearing Lady Bit Pasties'
- Human Body Parts Wash Ashore Rio Beach Near Olympic Volleyball Site
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 01, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 9
A New Device from Japan Gives Man's Best Friend a Leg Up on Interspecies Communications. Now Dog Owners Can Chat with Their Chihuahuas
A huge hit in Japan since it was launched last year, Bow-Lingual is the brainchild of Masahiko Kajita, a product developer at the Takara toy company in Tokyo, who honed the device with the help of an animal behaviorist. A small wireless microphone on the dog's collar beams data from the bark to a handheld receiver, which translates the sound using a 200-phrase dog vocabulary. "Bow-Lingual," says Kajita, 42, "doesn't translate barks into mere words but rather emotions." Thus the LCD might display phrases such as "What's that? How exciting!" or, in cases of real excitement, "I feel like dancin'!"
Kajita, who plans to introduce Meow-Lingual for cats soon, has lofty hopes for Bow-Lingual. "I hope it gets different people talking, brings them together as one, even spreads peace," he says. Right. Now if only it would stop Fido from drinking out of the toilet.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!