Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Magnitude 6.2 Earthquake Leaves at Least Six Dead in Central Italy: Report
- Read the Cover Story: The Final Five: Their Amazing Journey!
- Watch the Final Five Turn Into Hungry Hungry Humans on Tonight Show
- Downton Abbey Creator Shares His Vision for What Happened to the Crawley Estate and 4 More Revelations from the Show
- Watch Britney Spears and James Corden Sing 'Toxic' in New Carpool Karaoke Teaser
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 06, 1996
- Vol. 45
- No. 18
He did not, at first, want to be seen. Approached by Fox six years after the 1981 kidnapping and murder of his 6-year-old son, Adam, the former Hollywood, Fla., hotel management consultant resisted the television overtures for months. "I finally did it because the first guy we were going to do was David James Roberts, who had raped 17 women and killed 4 people, 2 of them small children," Walsh, 50, says. "I said, 'Wouldn't it be something if we caught him?' And we did." Walsh's continuing passion for crime-fighting, says Heflin, "is a fire that burns through his eyes." Logging 14-hour days and traveling nearly a million miles annually, the 5'9", 160-lb. Walsh battles stress with a low-fat diet and constant workouts. The sober television suits encase a 40-inch chest and 30-inch waist. Because his rugged looks are all too familiar to vengeful criminals, Walsh, his wife of 25 years, Reve, and their three children—all born after Adam's death—have round-the-clock security guards and keep a low profile. "John is a beautiful person in a lot of ways," says Reve. "He's like a phoenix risen from the ashes."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!