Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 20, 1996
- Vol. 45
- No. 20
Princess in a Hurry
The New Diana Tv Flick Was Shot in a Royal Flash
There was, for example, no worldwide search for the perfect Diana. In fact, there was not even an L.A.-wide search before Julie Cox signed on just days before cameras were ready to roll near the Scottish border. Cox (Tales from the Crypt) is no body double for Di, being brunette (they dyed her hair) and, at 5'4", six inches shorter. And she's oblivious to Windsor-mania. She never read the book, she says, because "I thought I would hate it. I thought, 'If I read it, I'll have a hard time taking the script seriously' "
At the hurried fittings, the costumer was "tearing her hair out...there was a lot of screaming and shouting going on," producer Janet Faust Krusi says. Christopher Villiers, who plays Hewitt, helped by using the same boots he had worn as a Gestapo officer in The Little Riders and as a Napoleonic soldier in Sharpe's Rifles.
You have to give the cast and crew credit for muddling through. At one point, a camera assistant reloaded an already-shot reel, ruining an entire day's footage. (He left shortly afterward, says the production manager: "He was the first to say, 'I don't feel comfortable here.' ") But that was as bad as things got, thanks in part to Pasternak, who spoke up when she noticed the script had Di and Hewitt jumping into a Jacuzzi. "I had to explain," says the author, "that we don't do that in England."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!