- Sheila E.: The Prince I Knew Was 'Funny,' a 'Genius' and 'an Amazing Gentleman'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Snap Back Queen! Kim Kardashian Sizzles in Swimsuit 5 Months After Giving Birth
- Get the Beauty Balm All the Instagram Cool Girls Are Obsessed With
- Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift Are Each Other's Dates for This Year's Met Gala
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- June 03, 1996
- Vol. 45
- No. 22
Picking cover subjects is an inexact science—but the study of celebrities doesn't have to be. Witness PEOPLE-Yankelovich Pop Monitor Profiles, a new marketing service that determines how various demographic groups rate America's icons in terms of such qualities as likability and trustworthiness. Based on a semiannual study conducted by PEOPLE marketing and Yankelovich Partners Inc., the Pop Monitor is now being offered by PEOPLE'S publisher to advertisers and the entertainment industry as a way to assess how celebrities reflect or influence cultural trends. For instance, Sally Field, who rates very highly overall, represents a recent move toward valuing home and hearth over status and flash. The idea behind this sophisticated marketing tool, says PEOPLE publisher Nora McAniff, will be to help the media industry "to better develop programming, spot emerging stars and identify spokespeople. Pop culture is full of change and energy, and understanding the celebrities who drive it economically can be essential to any marketing strategy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!