Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- What's the One Thing Mulaney Star Martin Short Likes to Cook?
- Alexis Shapiro: Losing Weight, Loving Life
- Why Is Dolly Parton Sending Faxes (Yes, Faxes) to Kelly Clarkson?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 08:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 17, 1996
- Vol. 45
- No. 24
The King of Punk Funk Is Now Called Prisoner J29237
At Folsom, James has been written up for minor infractions—"He's just like any other inmate," says prison spokesman Floyd McIntosh, "not a model prisoner, but average." Yet the singer, who meditates daily, says that he's trying to stay out of trouble. When not working as a file clerk in Folsom's receiving area, he writes songs in the 5-foot by 10-foot cell that he shares with another inmate. "Writing music," he insists, "gives me a focus and a center."
He has also found stability in his relationship with girlfriend Tanya Hijazi, 26, who served 15 months in prison in connection with the assault incident and is now a student at Pierce College. The couple have a son Tazman, 4, and plan to marry when James is released. "People look at us like we're Bonnie and Clyde, but we really love each other," he says. "She's my best friend and soulmate." Adds Hijazi: "I think we'll center on family life. Rick has reached an age to settle down. No one partying will be welcome in our house. We've grown out of that."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!