Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Ex Chris Martin Celebrate Memorial Day Together at Star-Studded Bash in Malibu
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Demi Moore and Daughter Rumer Willis Look Like Twins in New Photo
- Kacy Catanzaro's American Ninja Warrior Premiere Blog: Starting the Season with a Showstopper
- Pope Francis Hasn't Watched Television Since 1990, Longs for Good Pizza
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 15, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 3
In a Desperate Gambit, a Gawky Kid Made His Flop a Hit
After the Olympics, Fosbury returned to Oregon State, where he had earlier flunked out. "Having attention and success was difficult," he recalls. "Coaches don't teach you how to be a winner, and I had a difficult time with that." Ready or not, he was a talk show celebrity, but he was also a college kid worrying about bills (sponsors and a pro circuit were not post-Olympic perks back then). It was almost a blessing when his celebrity faded and he graduated with an engineering degree in 1972. Now 49 and divorced, he's an engineer and surveyor in Ketchum, Idaho, where he shares custody of his son, Erich, 13. Still thin and gangly, Fosbury works out at the Sun Valley Athletic Club. Few of the regulars know his history. Recently, a local ski instructor was stunned to learn the identity of the gawky guy in the corner of the gym. "I can't believe I'm looking at an Olympic athlete's body," the man said. "I don't feel so bad."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!