Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- See Dancing with the Stars Pro Kym Johnson's Wild Bachelorette Party in Vegas!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Duncan Jones Welcomes Son Stenton David Jones 6 Months After Dad David Bowie's Death
- WATCH AND SHOP: Never Hear 'You Look Tired' Again – Thanks to This Beauty Product
- Zoë Saldana Says Grandparents and Nannies Are a Huge Help in Raising Twin Sons: We 'Have a Great Village'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 15, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 3
A Record-Breaker from the Projects Helps Kids Break Out of Poverty and Despair
Now 49, Beamon achieved those goals—he earned a degree from Adelphi University—and has spent his life helping inner-city children. For 15 years he has lived in Miami and worked for Metro-Dade County's Parks and Recreation Department, organizing track meets as well as art and dance lessons to try to persuade kids to look beyond sports: "You've got to make young people understand that role models are not only athletes but people around them, aunts, uncles, ministers." He has two daughters, Tameka, 22, and Deanna, 11, and last year married for a third time, to Milana Walter, a 40ish special-events producer In Atlanta, Beamon will be in the stands, watching the assault on his Olympic mark. "If it happens, it will happen," he says, but no one will ever take from him that "I had accomplished something for myself, my family and the country."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!