Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kim Kardashian's Exposed Email Instructs Mom Kris Jenner to Stop Dressing Like a Pilgrim
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Lance Bass and Michael Turchin: Our Love Story
- WATCH: Garth Brooks Joins Justin Timberlake on Stage to Sing 'Friends in Low Places'
- Stephen Collins: A Woman Repeatedly Exposed Herself to Me When I Was a Boy
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 11:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 19, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 8
Gwyneth Paltrow Brings Emma—and Brad Pitt—to the White House
As Silverstone's Clueless character would say: As if!
The night was a kind of crowning achievement for Paltrow, who at 23 not only has Pitt, 32, but also glowing reviews for Emma, a comedy in which she plays an upper-class, 19th-century Englishwoman who can't stop meddling in the love lives of her neighbors. Still, the daughter of actress Blythe Danner and TV producer and director Bruce Paltrow (St. Elsewhere) seemed awed by the presidential screening. Arriving by limo at the East Gate at 7 p.m., Paltrow didn't hide her feelings. "I've been to D.C.," she gushed as she stepped toward the White House in a black Calvin Klein suit, "but never like this." As for Pitt—just back from Ireland, where he was shooting The Devil's Own—he wore a tie, along with scraggly beard and a dark-blue, fashionably rumpled jacket. After cocktails, the screening and an hour of post-movie schmoozing with 50 other guests, he did seem impressed. "I was thrilled," Pitt said. "It was the experience of a lifetime."
Paltrow told PEOPLE, "It's the first movie I've done that I've been honestly thrilled by." And the presidential reaction? "He loved it," she says. Which didn't surprise Pitt in the slightest. "Obviously," he says, "I'm proud of her."
December 20, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!