Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Verne Troyer Opens Up About Being Called the M-Word As a Child – and How He Physically Defended Himself Against a Bully
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Final Five Reunite for Glam Appearance at U.S. Olympic Committee Awards Show
- Lady Gaga Confirms She's Headlining the 2017 Super Bowl's Halftime Show: 'It's Not an Illusion'!
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 02, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 10
Schneider joined PEOPLE as a staff writer in 1989 and has mastered much more than the airwaves. "Karen has an extraordinary sense of words," says assistant managing editor Charles Leerhsen, "and a great feel for pop culture." Before earning a graduate degree at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism in 1988, she studied Italian literature at Stanford University, where classmate Andre Braugher, now a star of NBC's Homicide: Life on the Street, once offered her a rose. (Why? See page 42.) For PEOPLE she has written two dozen cover stories, including profiles of Hugh Grant, Brad Pitt and, most recently, Margaux Hemingway. And she conducted one of the last interviews with director Federico Fellini before his death in 1993.
In 1994, Schneider moved from New York City to her Minneapolis hometown to be close to her mother, Marilyn, 63, a retired professor of Italian literature at the University of Minnesota, who has Alzheimer's disease, and to help her father, Herb, 64, a retired architect, care for her mother. "I just decided sharing this time with her was the most important thing I could do," she says.
Schneider, who returned to Manhattan for this special issue, is now back in Minneapolis, linked to us by computer, fax and phone. But we know better than to call when she's watching All My Children.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!