Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chandra Levy's Father Distraught After Charges Dropped Against Man He Believes Is Killer: 'We Just Want Closure'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Terminally Ill 8-Year-Old Boy Becomes Honorary Marine: 'He's Taught Me Love,' Says Dad
- Remember When Neville Longbottom Got Hot? See Matthew Lewis' Big Transformation Ahead of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Blake Shelton Surprises Fans with Free Concert in Kansas City: 'It's Just a Big Party,' Says the Singer
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 23, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 13
Kathrine Baumann's Glittery Purses Get People Talking
Good thing many of her clients—including Melanie Griffith, Elizabeth Taylor and the Sultan of Brunei (he buys in bulk for his entourage)—are used to attention. Armed with a tongue-in-chic attitude, Baumann—a 1969 Miss America runnerup from Ohio and an ex-actress whose résumé includes Fantasy Island—has for the past two years created glittery, hand-beaded bags based on pop icons like Tweety Bird, Betty Boop and Coke bottles (after entering into licensing agreements, of course). This year, Baumann, who lives in West Hollywood with husband Victor Weber, 52, a business investor, will bag $1.5 million in sales.
Part of the sacks' appeal, says Jo Ann Bolduc, who manages the Giorgio Beverly Hills boutique, is that "you can carry them to a black-tie affair or wear them with jeans. They are definitely conversation pieces." Ask Barbara Walters, who carries a Minnie to tweak her new bosses: "Since Disney took over ABC," she says, "I've found it very amusing."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!