Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: See Joanna Krupa's Egg-Retrieval Procedure
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- It's Another Girl for Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell!
- Which Former Boy Band Member Will Compete on The Amazing Race?
- Kim Kardashian Wore Fur-Lined Strappy Stilettos, and Yes, There are Photos
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 02:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 30, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 14
Giving No Quarter
Before His Fall, Spiro Agnew Drew Blood as a Tough-Talking Political Hit Man
After Nixon's landslide victory over George McGovern in 1972, Agnew was positioning himself for a presidential run. Those dreams ended in 1973 when, under pressure from a White House reeling from the mounting Watergate scandal, he pleaded no contest to charges of income-tax evasion related to kickbacks he had taken as a Maryland public official. Though Agnew never spoke to his former patron again, he did attend Nixon's funeral in 1994. "He tried to call me," Agnew said at the time of the funeral, "but I didn't take the calls." In his later years he discussed his resignation in a memoir titled Go Quietly...or Else, wrote a novel about Washington politics and worked as a businessman with international clients. In a 1980 interview he urged young people not to go into politics: "...the expectation of people...is just so high that no ordinary man can ever perform to suit them."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!