Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Katy Perry Doesn't Want to Talk About Russell Brand: 'My Songs Will Say What I Need to Say'
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Veteran Says We Need to 'Change the Conversation' Surrounding PTSD
- Stars with the Strongest Memorial Day Weekend Game
- Alison Pill Marries Joshua Leonard – See the Bride's Sweet Yellow Wedding Gown
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 30, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 14
From the Vastness of Space, a Little Traveling Music
In Her Words: "I want to bring back that fantastic feeling of looking up at the sky, because every time you do that, something beautiful happens."
Second Opinion: "She said she was an astrophysicist, and I said, 'Yeah, sure,' " recalls veteran jazz keyboard player Herbie Hancock of their first meeting in 1993. "But the more she talked, the more believable she sounded."
Vitals: Born in Milan; briefly studied opera; earned a doctorate in 1988 from the University of Milan. Unmarried, and lives in both Los Angeles and New York City.
Odyssey: In 1987, Terenzi collected radio-wave data from UGC 6697, a galaxy 180 million light-years away, then devised a computer program to translate the data into sound. Her debut CD is a montage of these cosmic noises mixed with synthesized violins and percussion. A tireless astronomy booster, she appears regularly in concert—using her galactic sounds as background—maintains a popular educational Web site and this year released her first CD-ROM, Invisible Universe, a widely praised guide to the galaxies.
Next Up: A second CD with sounds from Saturn, a 1997 book, an astronomy talk show on the Internet this fall.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!