Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Remains of North Carolina 13-Year-Old Found After She Vanished 5 Years Ago as Parents Sit in Jail
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Gloria Steinem Defends Jennifer Aniston Amid Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Divorce: 'Enough Already'
- Prince William and Princess Kate Set Sail in a Canoe!
- 60-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth for the First Time to Healthy Twin Boys: 'Age Is Not a Number with God'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 30, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 14
From the Vastness of Space, a Little Traveling Music
In Her Words: "I want to bring back that fantastic feeling of looking up at the sky, because every time you do that, something beautiful happens."
Second Opinion: "She said she was an astrophysicist, and I said, 'Yeah, sure,' " recalls veteran jazz keyboard player Herbie Hancock of their first meeting in 1993. "But the more she talked, the more believable she sounded."
Vitals: Born in Milan; briefly studied opera; earned a doctorate in 1988 from the University of Milan. Unmarried, and lives in both Los Angeles and New York City.
Odyssey: In 1987, Terenzi collected radio-wave data from UGC 6697, a galaxy 180 million light-years away, then devised a computer program to translate the data into sound. Her debut CD is a montage of these cosmic noises mixed with synthesized violins and percussion. A tireless astronomy booster, she appears regularly in concert—using her galactic sounds as background—maintains a popular educational Web site and this year released her first CD-ROM, Invisible Universe, a widely praised guide to the galaxies.
Next Up: A second CD with sounds from Saturn, a 1997 book, an astronomy talk show on the Internet this fall.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!