Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Penélope Cruz Once Styled Salma Hayek's Hair in the Dark
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- NBA Star Bryce Dejean-Jones Shot Dead in Dallas After Reportedly Entering the Wrong Apartment
- Amanda de Cadenet Sends Messages of Support for Friend Amber Heard After the Actress Claims Husband Johnny Depp Abused Her
- All-Star Memorial Day Recipes from Your Favorite Celebrity Chefs
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 30, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 14
Site Not Unseen
Archaeologists in Jamestown, Va., Find Capt. John Smith's Long-Lost Fort
Kelso says he never thought that the remains of the fort, which burned down in 1608, had been carried off by the river. On his first day of digging, in April 1994, Kelso, who has also excavated the slave quarters at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, found a shard of pottery similar to one recovered from Henry VIII's Mary Rose, which sank off the coast of England in 1545. "I knew we were on to something," he says. "We've been working very hard ever since."
In addition to artifacts, the hard work has yielded a mystery: a skeleton in a wooden coffin. The identity of the dead man, who probably bled to death from the musket ball lodged in his right leg, is unknown; he may have participated in one of the mutinies against the autocratic Smith. "Because so many people were dying left and right," says Kelso, he is intrigued that the man received a formal burial: "We are looking at the possibility that this was someone of fairly high status."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!