Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Aww! Watch Neil Patrick Harris's Twins Sing 'Jingle Bells'
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- Watch George Clooney Seduce Elizabeth McGovern on Downton Abbey
- From Gwen Stefani to Jon Hamm: Our Favorite Moments from the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Watch Maroon 5, 5SOS Pharrell & Gwen Stefani Perform at the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Friday December 19, 2014 10:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 14, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 16
Hill of Dreams
A Maverick Flatlander Builds a Heap of Trouble
Now, at 62, Van Barriger is building his own mountain, a proposed 60-foot-high pile of brick and dirt that, only half-finished, already covers an area the size of a baseball diamond. It is meant to be the crowning feature of his 32-acre, frontier-themed property near tiny Big Rock, Ill.
Van Barriger refers to his mound, which he plans to cover with gravel and red rock to imitate the sunburnt peaks of Arizona, as a work of art. The Kane County Development Department, however, sees it as, well, a big pile of brick and dirt. And worse. "The fact is, his right to express himself has resulted in a violation of county ordinance," protests executive director Phillip Bus, who has referred the case to a state's attorney. He says 40 percent of Van Barriger's mountain encroaches on the floodplain of nearby Welch Creek.
Van Barriger has already spent $10,000 defying topography, and though he could be fined as much as $500 for each week his mountain stays where it is, he says he would go to jail rather than move it. His neighbors, also a bit bored with the terrain, tend to sympathize. Says retired carpenter Earl Pearl: "John made it prettier around here. It was just a plowed field before."
December 19, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!