Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 5 Things to Know About UFC Champ Ronda Rousey
- Read the Cover Story: Ryan Reynolds: Sexiest Dad Alive
- Ashley Graham Makes History as the First Size-16 Body Activist to Cover Sports Illustrated: 'This Is Going To Change My Life Forever'
- Bikinis, Gym Selfies and More! See Ashley Graham's Best Instagrams
- 5 Things to Know About Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Cover Star Hailey Clauson
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 18, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 21
A Test of Heart
Sly's Newborn Gives Her Parents a Scare
About a month later, joy turned to alarm when Flavin took Sophia to her Miami pediatrician for a checkup. Dr. Jose Wenger saw the baby wasn't gaining weight and listened to her chest. "I could hear a heart murmur," he says. Wenger suspected a ventricular septal defect—a tiny hole left when the chambers of the heart do not grow together uniformly—that an Oct. 29 echocardiogram at UCLA Medical Center in L.A. confirmed. Soon afterward the couple issued a statement: "We are concerned but optimistic about the outcome."
They should be. The condition isn't life-threatening—two in 1,000 newborns have it—and 70 percent recover without surgery. But Stallone has suffered parental pain before. In 1982, Seargeoh, then 3 and the younger of his two boys with first wife Sasha Czack, was diagnosed with autism. Now the couple hopes Sophia, who has been prescribed daily heart medication along with a diuretic to control congestion in her lungs, will recover on her own. Even if she needs surgery, Wenger says, "we don't expect problems." As grandma Flavin sees it, "Sophia is beautiful, responsive and bright. Everything will be fine."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!