Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,189 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kevin Bacon Celebrates 27 Years of Marriage to Kyra Sedgwick in the Most Adorable Way
- Read the Cover Story: The Kennedy Family's Darkest Secret
- Tom Brady Writes Facebook Post After 'Deflategate': 'To a Large Degree, We Have All Lost'
- VIDEO: Tyler Perry Shares Touching Tribute He Made for Bobbi Kristina Brown's Funeral
- VIDEO: Trisha Yearwood Gets Cookin'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 25, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 22
Making a Mint
Those Cheesy Mentos Ads Drive America Mental
Not that he was offended. After all, it's the unintentional awfulness of Mentos's 11 TV spots that have put the candy company on a roll. Featuring an annoyingly infectious jingle ("Mentos fresh and full of life!") and plucky twentysomethings who solve simple predicaments (a blocked-in car, a waiter who ignores them) after popping the chewy mints, the ads, since their introduction in '91, have tripled Mentos's annual sales to $120 million. A cult phenom among teens and gen-Xers, the perversely appealing spots have also landed in the movie Clueless and been spoofed by David Letterman and the band Foo Fighters in its Big Me video. "When I first saw the ads," says Chad Jones, 25, a computer administrator who runs one of many Web sites devoted to Mentos, "I was like, 'Who are you kidding?' "
Now, with mocking Mentos becoming a national pastime, Killeen admits he's perplexed by claims that the ads are dorky. "Personally," he says, "I don't see it." But he and other execs at the company's U.S. headquarters in Erlanger aren't complaining. "Mentophilia has taken on a life of its own," he says. "We're enjoying it as much as anybody else."
September 04, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!