Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian West Teases Bruce Jenner About His Hair in New KUWTK Sneak Peek
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- Britney Spears Is Taking Math Classes to Help Sons with 'Hard' Homework
- Dolly Parton Dishes on Why Opposites Attract
- FROM EW: See Ryan Reynolds in Costume as Deadpool ... on a Bearskin Rug
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 25, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 22
Making a Mint
Those Cheesy Mentos Ads Drive America Mental
Not that he was offended. After all, it's the unintentional awfulness of Mentos's 11 TV spots that have put the candy company on a roll. Featuring an annoyingly infectious jingle ("Mentos fresh and full of life!") and plucky twentysomethings who solve simple predicaments (a blocked-in car, a waiter who ignores them) after popping the chewy mints, the ads, since their introduction in '91, have tripled Mentos's annual sales to $120 million. A cult phenom among teens and gen-Xers, the perversely appealing spots have also landed in the movie Clueless and been spoofed by David Letterman and the band Foo Fighters in its Big Me video. "When I first saw the ads," says Chad Jones, 25, a computer administrator who runs one of many Web sites devoted to Mentos, "I was like, 'Who are you kidding?' "
Now, with mocking Mentos becoming a national pastime, Killeen admits he's perplexed by claims that the ads are dorky. "Personally," he says, "I don't see it." But he and other execs at the company's U.S. headquarters in Erlanger aren't complaining. "Mentophilia has taken on a life of its own," he says. "We're enjoying it as much as anybody else."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!