Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life
- Oprah Winfrey, Kelly Clarkson, Kerry Washington and More React to Hillary Clinton's Nomination on Twitter
- Pretty Little Liars Star Troian Bellisario Doesn't Want Any Part of the Taylor vs. Kim Feud: 'I Would Choose the Green Party'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 25, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 22
Sharing the Guilt
A Jenny Jones Guest Is Convicted of Murder, but Jurors Blame TV Too
Schmitz "was living a very stable life, working all the time," juror Joyce O'Brien said after the verdict Nov. 12. "And then when the show came, it was a catalyst that threw him back into an emotional tailspin." Adds fellow juror Dale Carlington: "We all felt [Schmitz] had a definite mental problem, and the show exacerbated it. It played a part. A big part." Even Frank Amedure Jr., the victim's brother, concurred: "None of this would have happened if it wasn't for Jenny Jones exploiting [the issue of] homosexuality."
Schmitz showed little emotion as the verdict was read. He turned to his weeping mother, Connie, and whispered, "You're all right, Mom. Take it easy." For him, the future—up to life in prison—is a certainty. For Jones and ambush-style talk shows, the jury is still out. The Amedure family has filed a $25 million civil suit against Schmitz and The Jenny Jones Show. Jones denied intending to ambush Schmitz but was otherwise vague on the witness stand. "I don't produce the show, I don't book the show," she said.
Ultimately, though, this is not a case in which there are winners. Concluded juror O'Brien: "Everybody in this instance was a victim. I feel just as bad for both families."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!