Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kerry Washington Teases President Obama's 'Funny' Side Ahead of Last White House Correspondents' Dinner, as She Joins Scandal Stars at Event in D.C.
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- FROM EW: Drake Releases New Album Views
- Anti-Trump Protest Intensifies in Orange County as Roads are Blocked, Police Window Smashed
- Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth Have Lunch with His Parents in Australia
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 02, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 23
Man of Faith
Joseph Cardinal Bernardin Goes Gently, and with His Usual Unswerving Dignity, into That Good Night
Joseph Bernardin Jr. lived, and died, with dignity. The son of poor Italian immigrants who settled in South Carolina, he came to Chicago as archbishop in 1982, where he would win praise as a peacemaker and face the most trying days of his brilliant, 44-year church career. In 1993, former seminarian Stephen Cook accused him of sexual abuse. Bernardin calmly denied the charges until his accuser recanted four months later—and then said mass for Cook, who died of AIDS in 1994. Bernardin was diagnosed with cancer just six months later and faced the disease with candor. "Sometimes we accomplish the greatest good when we are suffering," he said last summer.
Bernardin's widowed mother, Maria, learned of her son's passing on her 92nd birthday. In Italian-accented English, she expressed a belief shared by many. "He's in paradiso," she said.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!