Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mila Kunis Displays Her Baby Bump at Bad Moms Premiere
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Khloé Kardashian Reveals She 'Hated' Doing Celebrity Apprentice, Says Donald Trump 'Would Not Make a Good President'
- Meryl Streep Gives Powerful Speech as Hillary Clinton Trumps Donald in Convention Star Power
- Ellen Pompeo Reveals Her Age Was the Reason She Stayed on Grey's Anatomy: 'I Knew My Clock Was Ticking in Hollywood'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 02, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 23
Streetwise and Stage-Smart
How she auditioned for the show: "I walked into the network and said, 'I'm here to collect my job.' "
Why it worked: "It [was] a very businesslike room, with the top executives there in suits," says Dangerous Minds executive producer Andrew Schneider. "She knocked them out. She made up dialogue. She had them laughing.... She's fresh and doesn't have a typical TV look.... You don't see a LaToya on Beverly Hills, 90210."
Vitals: At 20, she is the baby in a family of six boys and six girls; lives in a residential corner of Watts in a one-floor home with mother Daisy, 60, a housewife, plus one older sister and two nieces. (Father Foster, a retired sanitation worker, died in 1994.)
First take: "LaToya was going in the wrong direction," says Daisy. "She'd use her fists, then ask questions later."
Second take: "LaToya's like a sponge when she's learning something," says Colors United codirector Kingston DuCoeur, who discovered her. "She almost never missed a class or a rehearsal, and often would be the first one there."
Early critics: "She was caught up in the whole [gang] milieu," notes DuCoeur. "She was in deep enough that when she did break away, some of her homies were angry."
Civic standing: "Some friends are happy for me," Howlett says. "Others say, 'She think she all that.' "
First ambition: "I always wanted to be a mortician."
Up next: "I see myself doing films, commercials and public speaking," says Howlett. "I've got so many things I want to do with my life."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!