Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Italian Astronaut Wears Star Trek Uniform in Space
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- A Kaitlyn-Britt Showdown? A Motorized Cupake? New Bachelorette Promo Is Nuts (VIDEO)
- What Made Robert Herjavec and Kym Johnson's 'Connection Even Stronger' on DWTS
- Cissy Houston: Bobbi Kristina Brown Has 'Irreversible Brain Damage' and 'Remains Unresponsive'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 02, 1996
- Vol. 46
- No. 23
A Guidepost for a Generation, Ebony Magazine Is Feted in a Glittering Show That Feels Like a Family Reunion
To be broadcast on ABC on Thanksgiving, the Nov. 17 gala marking the 50th anniversary of Ebony was an exuberant cross between a family reunion and an all-star variety show, punctuated by heartfelt testimonials. An audience of 4,800 (whose tickets helped raise about $350,000 for the United Negro College Fund) heard tributes to the magazine from fans including Rev. Jesse Jackson, who said, "It's hard to imagine the deficit of esteem African-Americans would have if it weren't for Ebony." When "the media depicted us in a very negative way," he added, "it gave us a sense of our worth."
That, and a jolt of inspiration. "Ebony means the epitome of beauty, the epitome of success and richness," said Brandy, looking beautiful, successful and rich. "All that we need is to have that magazine around."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!