Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- After Slumping Sales, Diet Pepsi Is Adding Aspartame Sweetener Back Into Its Soda Recipe
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Leslie Jones Calls Out Designers for Refusing to Dress Her for Ghostbusters Premiere
- At Least 10 Killed as Two Explosions and Gunfire Reported at Istanbul Airport: Reports
- Transgender Duathlete Chris Mosier Poses Nude for ESPN's Body Issue: 'I Feel Very Comfortable in My Own Skin'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 27, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 13
The Last March
A Poignant Cross-Country Memorial Pays Tribute to the More Than 1,000 Soldiers Killed in Iraq
Launched in January with 504 boots, the exhibit has since crisscrossed the nation. The ever-growing army of shoes, each pair bearing the name of a dead soldier, comes from surplus stores. Some are decorated with American flags and other mementos by family members. "Every boot has many tears shed over it," says Janet Farrington, 33, the wife of an Iraq war vet, who visited the memorial when it was displayed at the Indianapolis Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Sept. 11. Others call the exhibit unpatriotic. "They're taking advantage of the deaths of our soldiers," says Edytha Hall, 64, who joined a nearby pro-war demonstration. Yet for Celeste Zappala, who wept when she saw the pair of boots that stood in for those worn by her strapping son, the stark tribute is a way to say goodbye. "This is how a person walked the earth and no longer can," she says. "All that's left is the shoes they walked in."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!