Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Legendary College Basketball Coach Pat Summitt Dies at 64 After Battle with Alzheimer's Disease
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian Celebrate Khloe's Birthday with Kim, Kourtney and Kylie
- Romance in Rome! Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Take Their Jet Set Relationship to Italy
- IKEA Issues Voluntary Recall of Dressers and Chests That Have Killed 6 Children
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 27, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 13
Jill Scott: R&B Singer
LATEST CD Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2
•Rhythm & snooze: Scott says she sometimes composes in her sleep. Literally. After a year-and-a-half-long hiatus following the promotion of her Grammy-nominated, platinum-selling '00 debut, Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1, "songs started waking me up, mostly around 4 o'clock in the morning," says the R&B singer, who took the musings as a sign to get back to work. "I'd hear full harmonies and melodies and background vocals." The result? Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2, which debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart.
•Tough trappings: Raised by her mother and her grandmother in North Philadelphia, Scott, who joined her school choir at 15, didn't know she was poor until high school, when she visited a classmate's home. "I'd never been to an area of Philly where there were trees and grass in the front, on the side and in the back of the house," she says.
•Poetic justice: She now lives in a similar area near Philly herself with her husband and manager, Lyzel Williams, 33. They met in 1995, when he came to one of Scott's poetry readings. "It's flattering," says Williams of being the subject of many of Scott's songs. "When I tell a story, it sounds okay. When Jill tells the story, it sounds magnificent. She turns a night out to dinner into a song most people would want to get married by."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!