Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Apple CEO Tim Cook's Op-Ed Blasting Indiana's Religious Freedom Act
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- California College Student Goes Missing After Party
- KUWTK: Kanye West Lashes Out at Kim Kardashian's Trainer for Saying She Can't Lose 15 Lbs.
- Hilary Duff Reveals Her Surprising Blue Hair Inspiration, Says Her 12 Tattoos Make Her Gangster and More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 27, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 13
Kids Need Comfort at An Ohio Hospital? Call for Dr. Petie, the Quadruped Candy Striper—Stat!
Which is fine by Petie, who has been a fixture at Akron since 1997. He likes to lay his long nose right on a child's bed, inviting gentle stroking and scratching. "He's got an amazing temperament," says Petie's handler Richard Miller, who has escorted the horse everywhere from the burn center to the cancer ward. Adds hospital pediatrician Robert Stone: "He's another way of letting children know they don't have to be scared in a scary place."
Before Petie can clip-clop his way down the halls, he must undergo a painstaking cleansing process, beginning with an hour-long bath and shampoo; he also has his hooves and tail wrapped in veterinarian's tape to keep them clean. As for bathroom breaks, "he's what we consider housebroken" for two-hour increments, says Sue Miller, cofounder along with Kim Gustely of Victory Gallop, a therapeutic riding center in Bath, Ohio, that Petie now calls home. The final touch? An all-over spritz of Listerine. "It pretty much kills any horse smells," says Sue, "since not everyone loves pets." But never mind the neigh-sayers. Sums up 15-year-old patient Amanda Weber after nuzzling with Petie: "Pretty cool."
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!