Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Here's How You Can Declutter Your Life and Give Any Room a Stylish Makeover
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Shark Tank's Barbara Corcoran on Why Women Should 'Yank Up Their Skirts' in the Workplace
- Promise Phan: What I'd Be Doing If I Weren't a YouTube Influencer
- Kendra Wilkinson Tells Bridget Marquardt 'She's Right' About How She Wrongly Handled their Post-Girls Next Door Friendship
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 04, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 14
Back in Focus
A New Procedure Lets Nearly Blind Patients Recover Their Vision Thanks to Lenses Implanted in the Eye
Until August, when she underwent a revolutionary new procedure to restore her vision. Using a local anesthetic, Santa Monica ophthalmologist Kerry Assil cut into de Firmian's left eye and inserted a plastic lens behind the cornea, where it acts like a permanent contact lens. The roughly 20-min. surgery—performed 660 times in the U.S.—corrects moderate to severe myopia in patients whose vision is too poor for LASIK surgery (see box). Known by the trade name Verisyse, the lens may one day be approved for those with less-serious impairments as well. "Within 20 years this will become one of the most common surgeries in the world," says Dr. Assil.
The operation is not risk free. In Europe, where it has been in use for a decade, there are rare instances of infections or cataracts; the lens can be removed. But that hasn't stopped Lia de Firmian from abandoning her Coke-bottle glasses. "Before, I didn't know who I was," she says. "Now I look in the mirror and I can see my face."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!