Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Demi Lovato Is an Uncontrollable Badass in 'Confident' – Watch Now!
- Read the Cover Story: How Blake Shelton Is Moving On After Split
- Kim Kardashian's Nether Regions Are Completely Lasered Off,' Khloé Reveals
- 20-Year-Old Woman Fights Back After Her Makeup-Free Photo Became a Cruel Internet Meme: 'Everyone Should Feel Beautiful'
- VIDEO: Million Dollar Listing's Josh Altman's Last Piece of Good Advice Could Make you Some Cash!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 04, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 14
Peter Mayhew—Star Wars' Chewbacca—Now Makes Furniture in Texas but Still Stands Tall in the Hairy Suit
Whether in the Lone Star State or a galaxy far, far away, Star-dom still drives the 7'4" Mayhew. After portraying Harrison Ford's shaggy sidekick in 1977's Star Wars, 1980's The Empire Strikes Back and 1983's Return of the Jedi (all newly released on DVD), the actor, 60, now spends time crafting furniture in his Granbury, Texas, garage and makes his living attending twice-monthly Star Wars conventions. He'll also return as Chewie in next May's final Star Wars installment, Revenge of the Sith. The Barnes, England-born Mayhew, his towering height caused by an overactive pituitary gland, was working as a hospital orderly when a newspaper story about his size-16 feet got him cast as a minotaur in 1977's Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. Nine months later he met with Star Wars creator George Lucas. "After talking with him, I knew I'd found Chewbacca. He was perfect," says Lucas. "When Peter put on that costume, he instantly became the embodiment of the character."
Unable to find acting work after Jedi, Mayhew joined a Yorkshire woodworking business for 12 years but quit in 1996 to appear at conventions full-time. A year later he met toy dealer Angie, now 50, at a Phoenix convention. They married in 1999 and settled in Granbury, where his tall frame gets him quick service in stores—even when no one knows of his hairier alter ego. Says Mayhew: "It's charisma."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!