Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gigi Hadid Opens Up About Fighting Back After Milan Fashion Week Attack: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Netflix Releases First Official Trailer for The Crown – and It Has Us Royally Excited for Nov. 4
- Donald Trump Won Last Night's Presidential Debate, According to Unscientific Snap Online Polls
- Naomi Watts and Liev Schrieber Split: Inside Their 11 Year Romance and its Sad Final Chapter
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 11, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 15
With Denzel and Oprah as Her Biggest Fans, the Actress Gets Ready to Bust Loosed
Since then, Washington—who just reteamed with Elise in The Manchurian Candidate—has turned into her biggest cheerleader, proclaiming that she "maybe the best actress we have out there today." Now Elise, 37, is getting a chance to prove him right with a high-impact turn in a low-budget drama. In Woman, Thou Art Loosed, based on a novel and play by African-American evangelical leader Bishop T.D. Jakes (who costars), Elise plays a survivor of childhood sexual abuse who seeks salvation after a stretch in prison. "When she's playing a role, she puts that person on like you're putting on a coat," says Jakes. The Minneapolis-raised Elise slipped into her first major acting job, a Wendy's commercial, to help pay for college. After giving birth to daughters AjaBleu, 14, and Butterfly, 6, with photographer husband Maurice Oldham, 45, she hit it big as Oprah Winfrey's daughter in 1998's Beloved (she calls Winfrey "a great friend"). Next year, she'll lighten up in the comedy-drama Diary of a Mad Black Woman. "I don't have an agenda," she says. "I do what feels right to my spirit."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!