Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Zac Efron Says Final Goodbye to His Dog Puppy: 'You've Always Been My Best Friend'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Britney Spears Recreates Her Iconic 'Baby One More Time' Video with James Corden on Carpool Karaoke
- FROM EW: Ellie Goulding's 'Still Falling for You' Video Teases Bridget Jones's Baby
- Taylor Swift Donates $50,000 to Baton Rouge Food Bank
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 11, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 15
With Denzel and Oprah as Her Biggest Fans, the Actress Gets Ready to Bust Loosed
Since then, Washington—who just reteamed with Elise in The Manchurian Candidate—has turned into her biggest cheerleader, proclaiming that she "maybe the best actress we have out there today." Now Elise, 37, is getting a chance to prove him right with a high-impact turn in a low-budget drama. In Woman, Thou Art Loosed, based on a novel and play by African-American evangelical leader Bishop T.D. Jakes (who costars), Elise plays a survivor of childhood sexual abuse who seeks salvation after a stretch in prison. "When she's playing a role, she puts that person on like you're putting on a coat," says Jakes. The Minneapolis-raised Elise slipped into her first major acting job, a Wendy's commercial, to help pay for college. After giving birth to daughters AjaBleu, 14, and Butterfly, 6, with photographer husband Maurice Oldham, 45, she hit it big as Oprah Winfrey's daughter in 1998's Beloved (she calls Winfrey "a great friend"). Next year, she'll lighten up in the comedy-drama Diary of a Mad Black Woman. "I don't have an agenda," she says. "I do what feels right to my spirit."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!