Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jerry Seinfeld Gets Emotional as He and Judd Apatow Remember Garry Shandling
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Malin Akerman 'Sets Boundaries on a Daily Basis' for Son Sebastian: '3 Is Really Challenging!'
- Stacey Dash Criticizes Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech and Calls Him 'the Perfect Example of a Hollywood Plantation Slave'
- How Roald Dahl's Granddaughter Sophie Helped Inspire The BFG – and More Secrets Behind the Children's Classic
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 01, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 18
Good Charlotte's Joel and Benji Madden
HOMETOWN: Waldorf, Md.
LATEST GIG: Their third major album, The Chronicles of Life and Death
•Double duty: Born five minutes before singer Joel, "I feel older—I'm the more responsible one," says guitarist Benji. The identical twins write the lyrics for their five-member band, whose punk-pop is tough and sarcastic ("I Just Wanna Live" mocks celebrity whining) yet popular with the TRL crowd. The brothers may seem dark, Joel says, but on the road "our whole life is like being a kid in the summer, looking for something to do."
•Their so-called lives: Their music—which they first recorded in 1996 on a home karaoke machine—is largely inspired by a troubled youth. (The band is named after a children's book.) When they were 16, their dad left, and the boys, their mom and two other siblings were evicted. Says Benji: "I'd ask a girl, 'You wanna go home with me?' and I'd get to say, 'Cool, it's in the parking lot.'"
•Fame game: They dug meeting Howard Stern but can pass on Hollywood. Says Joel: "When some actor dude comes up to us and says, 'Hey guys, I like your tattoos,' we're like, 'Thanks.' And there's an awkward silence, and they walk away." (And no, Joel is not with Hilary Duff. Benji dates a model.)
•Fore shadowing: As kids, the Maddens dreamed of playing pro baseball—then they heard Green Day. Now they're a band for life, says Benji, even if Joel likes to fantasize about a second career. "If I put my mind to it, 15 years from now I can make it to the pro golf tour." Says Benji: "He doesn't have the game I have. He's gonna be my caddy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!