Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Emeril Lagasse Reveals the Craziest Thing He Ate While Traveling the World for His New Series
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Father: FSU Student Who Allegedly Tried to Eat Man's Face Suffering Organ Failure After Drinking Chemicals
- Campaigning's a Drag: Unearthed Sketch Features Donald Trump Flirting with Rudy Giuliani Dressed as a Woman
- How 5-Year Old Toddlers and Tiaras Star Cadence Schutter Survived an Extremely Rare Form of Cancer That Developed Before She Was Born
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 27, 2004
- Vol. 62
- No. 26
Victory Is (Finally) Sweet
Who'd have thought hanging onto an Olympic Medal would be as hard as winning one? Ask gymnast Paul Hamm, who captured the gold in an emotional come-from-behind effort only to have contested two days later. South Korean "officials claimed a judges' scoring error had penalized bronze medalist Yang Tae Young. "I couldn't believe it was happening," says Hamm, 22, "but there were times that I gave definite thought to giving it back." Happily, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled he could keep the medal—and his title of first American to win the men's gymnastics all-around Olympic honor. "It's what I've always dreamed of," he says. (He won two silvers as well) Tucking the medal away in a sock drawer at his parents' home in Waukesha, Wis., Hamm hit the road with the Rock 'n Roll Gymnastics tour, made the talk show rounds and accepted VH1's Big Bummer Moment of '04 Award. The controversy lost him the coveted Wheaties box to three other Olympians, but he has signed with Chevron and Visa. With twin brother and fellow gymnast Morgan, he plans to finish his last two years of school and has begun training for the 2008 Games. "What I want everyone to remember," he says, "is the fact that I was able to pull myself all the way from 12th place to first place."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!