- VIDEO: Watch a Kangaroo Punch a Drone Out of the Sky (Yes, Really)
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Enter to Win Our Exclusive Giveaway and Get Your Best Brows Ever!
- How Did Faye Grant React to Stephen Collins's Interview on 20/20?
- Stacy Keibler: How I've Completely Bounced Back After Baby in 4 Months
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday December 20, 2014 03:10PM EST
- January 31, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 4
Managing to Offend Just About Everybody, Prince Harry Plays Dress-Up—as a Nazi
Unfortunately for Harry, a photo found its way to Britain's Sun newspaper—igniting a scandal just weeks before the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp. "Shameful," declared Rabbi Marvin Hier, founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in L.A., who joined a chorus of condemnation from Israeli and German politicians and members of Parliament, including one who called for Harry's acceptance to the Sandhurst military academy to be rescinded. "I am very sorry if I caused any offense," Harry said in a statement. "It was a poor choice of costume."
Harry chose the getup for the "natives and colonials" theme party as "a last-minute, desperate choice," says a friend. (Prince William, who came as a lion, was with Harry when he rented the uniform and is said to feel "regret" about not intervening, says a source close to the princes.) Why handlers let Harry out of the house dressed that way is another question. "Advisers were not hanging around telling them what to wear," says the source. Perhaps they will be in the future. Said to be angry upon hearing of the incident, Prince Charles is standing by his son. Despite calls for a televised apology, insiders doubt there will be a more public mea culpa. "Lessons will be learned," says a spokesman. "[But] anything that will be done will be done privately."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!