Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Josh Duhamel Shares Sweet Birthday Message to Fergie
- Read the Cover Story: At Home with Britney Spears and Her Boys!
- New York Jets Help High Schooler Ask Boy to Prom (VIDEO)
- Amanda Knox Speaks After Murder Conviction Overturned: 'I'm So Grateful to Have My Life Back'
- Kourtney Kardashian Posts Flashback Photo of the Night She Met Scott Disick
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 21, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 7
Show of Strength
The Pope Rebounds from a Near-Deadly Case of the Flu—but His Ill Health Prompts Rumors of Retirement
Vatican insiders say he came close. John Paul, who suffers from Parkinson's disease and acute arthritis, reportedly was eating dinner with an aide at the Vatican Feb. 1 when an inflammation of the trachea caused him to begin to suffocate. Though he initially refused to go to a hospital, two hours later an ambulance rushed him to Gemelli.
The Pope's condition has stabilized since, and Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls says John Paul reads the newspapers daily to learn "how [his] health is coming along." He was not expected to officiate at an Ash Wednesday mass (Feb. 9) for the first time in his 26-year papacy. (American Cardinal James Stafford was to do the honors instead.)
Rumors that the pontiff might willingly resign have grown so loud that Vatican officials have addressed them publicly. It's a possible scenario that has happened before—back in 1294—but it wall not occur again unless John Paul himself decides the time has come. "We must have great faith in him," Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sodano told an Italian reporter on Feb. 7. "He knows what to do."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!