Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 3 Dead, 9 Injured in Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting; Suspect Identified and in Custody
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Left with a Thanksgiving Mess? Let These Hollywood Hotties Clean Up for You
- VIDEO: Watch Heavyweight Champ Wladimir Klitschko's Pre-Fight Serenade to 'Wind Beneath My Wings'
- Selena Gomez on the Difficulties of Dating: 'I Would Love to Date Older Guys' But 'I Look 16'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 21, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 7
Fitness King Gunnar Peterson Helped Give Angelina Her Abs and McConaughey His McMuscles
With moobies now but a memory on his 9.5 percent body-fat frame, Peterson has Porsches lining up outside the hillside L.A. house he converted into a gym known simply as the Compound. Keeping the paparazzi-proof sanctuary stocked with Oribe hair-care products and monogrammed towels, Peterson, 42, leads clients such as Ben Affleck, Penélope Cruz and Debra Messing through intense custom-tailored routines. "When my clients are here, it's 60 minutes of pure go, go, go," says Peterson, whose new book, G-Force: The Ultimate Guide to Your Best Body Ever, details: his take-no-prisoners philosophy. "There's no hanging around the watercooler chatting."
And no behaving like the chubby Houston-bred 10-year-old did when his mom enrolled him in Weight Watchers. "At one meeting they announced I'd lost 5 lbs.," he says. "I celebrated by buying two ice-cream sandwiches." He dropped the weight after graduating from Duke University in 1984 and getting serious about fitness. Five years later he was working as a movie production assistant in L.A. when a fellow gym rat offered to pay him for training—and a career was born.
Nowadays Peterson—who lives with wife Janet and their three kids—rises at 3 a.m. to train himself. By 6 he's punishing clients. "Everyone is an extremely hard worker," he says. "It's no coincidence that all of them are at the top of the food chain."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!