- Is Laurie Hernandez Joining the New Season of Dancing with the Stars?
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- My First VMAs: From Justin Bieber to Demi Lovato, See This Year's Nominees' Red Carpet Debuts!
- Everything But the Trucker Hat! Kylie Jenner Shows Off Coordinating Von Dutch Bra Top and Body Con Skirt
- WATCH: Find Out What Thor Was Up To During Captain America: Civil War
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- February 28, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 8
Michael Stadther's New Kids' Book Has Fans Scouring the U.S. for $1 Million Worth of Hidden Treasure
Readers are glad he did. The book—self-published in November after Stadther (who sold his software company for $100 million in 1996) was rejected by a dozen publishers—has sold more than 150,000 copies, hit the New York Times children's bestseller list and was just optioned by Tom Cruise's film company.
In addition to writing and illustrating the story himself, Stadther hid the tokens with help from his wife, Helen Demetrios: Each is in a public place and, he says, there's one within a day's drive of anywhere in the continental U.S. The search "is addicting," says fan Ted Mann, 27, of Philadelphia. "I've been doing it nonstop." To date, all tokens remain hidden, and Stadther, who lives in Westchester, N.Y., won't give hints no matter how much you beg. (If you think page 77 holds a clue, though, see box at left.) His own reward: "I get e-mails from parents saying their kid hasn't watched TV all week."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!