Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- VIDEO: Kim Kardashian Calls Rob 'Pathetic' in KUWTK Sneak Peek
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- WATCH: R2D2 Comes to Earth to Find True Love
- Watch What Happens When This Woman Tries to Kiss Strangers in Grand Central Station (Video)
- Helen Mirren Has the Best Workout Advice Ever
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 28, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 8
Michael Stadther's New Kids' Book Has Fans Scouring the U.S. for $1 Million Worth of Hidden Treasure
Readers are glad he did. The book—self-published in November after Stadther (who sold his software company for $100 million in 1996) was rejected by a dozen publishers—has sold more than 150,000 copies, hit the New York Times children's bestseller list and was just optioned by Tom Cruise's film company.
In addition to writing and illustrating the story himself, Stadther hid the tokens with help from his wife, Helen Demetrios: Each is in a public place and, he says, there's one within a day's drive of anywhere in the continental U.S. The search "is addicting," says fan Ted Mann, 27, of Philadelphia. "I've been doing it nonstop." To date, all tokens remain hidden, and Stadther, who lives in Westchester, N.Y., won't give hints no matter how much you beg. (If you think page 77 holds a clue, though, see box at left.) His own reward: "I get e-mails from parents saying their kid hasn't watched TV all week."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!