Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,185 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Calvin Harris Acknowledges Taylor Swift's Skills in Cute Instagram: 'She Cooks Too'
- Read the Cover Story: Growing Up Kennedy!
Exclusive Family Photos from White House Nanny
- Father and Sons Poisoned on Caribbean Vacation Remain Paralyzed
- PHOTO: Bethenny Frankel Bends Over Backwards (Literally) to Kick Off the Holiday Weekend
- FROM EW: TV Marathons You Can Binge on this Fourth of July Weekend
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 07, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 9
Sandra Dee: 1944-2005
Farewell, Gidget: She Struggled in Life, but Onscreen She Captured a California Dream
Despite her perky image, Dee, who was 60 when she died Feb. 20 of complications from kidney disease, faced personal traumas from an early age. Born Alexandria Zuck in Bayonne, N.J., she began a modeling career at 8 and auditioned for movie producer Ross Hunter at 12. She later said she was sexually abused by her stepfather, whom she also blamed for making her anorexic. Her one bright light may have been Bobby Darin, the crooner she wed when he was 24 and she was 16. Their union, which produced her only child, Dodd, now 43 and a real estate developer, was volatile and lasted just seven years, but she remained devoted to Darin throughout her life.
With her career fading by the mid-'60s, Dee began a long slide into alcoholism, which Dodd helped her kick three decades later. But the drinking had taken its toll. She went on dialysis "four or five years ago," says friend and former agent Steve Blauner. "She had so many brushes with death and always came back. She put up a good fight."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!