Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,169 covers and 54,876 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Watch Guy Pearce's New, Strange Music Video (NSFW)
- The Style Top 5: The Best Star Style From the PEOPLE Magazine Awards
- Jill Dillard Shares Wedding Pics – and There Are More Duggar Kissing Shots!
- Can You Guess Which Country Star Goes Hunting on Christmas?
- The Obamas talk to PEOPLE: "We Can Still Make a Difference"
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Monday December 22, 2014 09:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 07, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 9
Sandra Dee: 1944-2005
Farewell, Gidget: She Struggled in Life, but Onscreen She Captured a California Dream
Despite her perky image, Dee, who was 60 when she died Feb. 20 of complications from kidney disease, faced personal traumas from an early age. Born Alexandria Zuck in Bayonne, N.J., she began a modeling career at 8 and auditioned for movie producer Ross Hunter at 12. She later said she was sexually abused by her stepfather, whom she also blamed for making her anorexic. Her one bright light may have been Bobby Darin, the crooner she wed when he was 24 and she was 16. Their union, which produced her only child, Dodd, now 43 and a real estate developer, was volatile and lasted just seven years, but she remained devoted to Darin throughout her life.
With her career fading by the mid-'60s, Dee began a long slide into alcoholism, which Dodd helped her kick three decades later. But the drinking had taken its toll. She went on dialysis "four or five years ago," says friend and former agent Steve Blauner. "She had so many brushes with death and always came back. She put up a good fight."
December 20, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!