Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Scott Eastwood Says He Never Saw Any Tension Between The Rock and Vin Diesel on Set of Fast 8
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Who Is Terra Jolé? 5 Things You Need to Know About the History-Making DWTS Contestant
- Fitness Trainers Gain 60 Lbs. and Drop it Again to Demonstrate How Hard it Is to Lose Weight
- WATCH: Dancing with the Stars Champion Nyle DiMarco Strips Down for Chippendales Gig
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 07, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 9
Petra Nemcova: Surviving the Tsunami, a Supermodel Hopes to Help Other Victims
In fact, she may soon put her career on hold to do just that. Friends and Nemcova's father, Oldrich Nemec, told PEOPLE that once healed, Petra wants to devote herself to helping the child victims of the tsunami rather than return to work. "When you get a second chance," says Nemec, 49, a bricklayer who took time off to cook his daughter model-worthy meals of lean meat and vegetables each day, "it means someone wants you to think differently." (Her mother is a teacher.) Adds friend Karolina Bosakova, a Czech modeling agent: "Her view of modeling and all things material has changed."
Nemcova and Atlee, who had been dating long-distance for two years (she lived in New York City, he in London), were vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami struck. She last saw him being swept out to sea but keeps pictures of him in the childhood bedroom where she sleeps and "is still hoping" against the odds, says her dad, that he will somehow turn up safe. In the meantime she plans to visit his family in London when well enough to travel. "One chapter has ended," says Nemec. "Another one is starting."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!