- WATCH: Do You Trust Jordan on The Bachelorette?
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- 12 Amazing Accessories That'll Give You the Pretty Little Liars Look
- This Genius Hair Oil Will Give You a Salon-Worthy Blowout in No Time
- Jazz Jennings Becomes the Youngest Grand Marshal at N.Y.C.'s Pride Parade: It's 'About Loving Yourself'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- June 06, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 22
Racing's Danica Patrick
Girly Girl Patrick Breaks Into the Tough as Nails World of Racing
•Fast track: At 16, Patrick moved to London to race on the Formula Vauxhall circuit. "It's the equivalent of automotive gang warfare," says Bobby Rahal, the Indy champ who was so impressed by her driving there that in June '02 he signed her to the high-octane team he co-owns with David Letterman. "She's a tough kid."
•Secret weapon: Her intuition, says Patrick. "When we're going 200-plus mph, I can see things happening and have time to react to them. I think that is a special gift."
•Idling: Enjoys life in the slow lane in Scottsdale, Ariz., with fiancé Paul Hospenthal, 39, a physical therapist and personal trainer. "She's kind of a TV junkie," Hospenthal says of Patrick, who also enjoys barbecuing and working out (see box). "But you won't see her watching much racing."
•Caution flag: Don't be fooled by the pink nail polish. "Danica shakes your hand and, crunch, it's like a truck driver," says Rahal. "That's the yin and yang of Danica. The exterior is nice and pretty—and underneath she is as tough as steel."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!