- Johnny Depp Steps Out with His Kids in L.A.: He 'Really Missed' Them, Says Source
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- WATCH: With Which Famous Actor Did RHONY's Countess LuAnn de Lesseps Share a Kiss?
- Tight Top, Mom Jeans: 30 Years of the Supermodel Uniform Remaining the Same
- Lo Bosworth on Her Glam Beauty Look on The Hills: 'We Did All of Our Own Makeup Ourselves'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- June 06, 2005
- Vol. 63
- No. 22
No Time to Cook at Home? Judie Byrd's Super Suppers Franchise Can Come to Your Culinary Rescue
How to make kitchen time easy for a generation of harried, multitasking home cooks? Byrd, who owns the Culinary School of Fort Worth and once took classes from Martha Stewart, says she's got the answer: Super Suppers, a fast-growing chain of stores that provides clients with pretested recipes and the ingredients to make them on the premises. For $185, customers purchase 12 main courses they prepare under trained supervision, freeze them and reheat them in their own homes. Says Byrd: "There's no shopping, no chopping, no mopping."
That's a pretty mouthwatering pitch. Since Byrd opened her first Super Suppers in Fort Worth with husband Bill, an entrepreneur, in '03, the company has expanded to nearly 100 franchises nationwide. "Today you have to do all you can to fight for your family time," says Kellie Bullinger, a married mother of two and Super Suppers devotee. "If thawing out dinner lets you sit down and have an hour with them, do it."
Sharing that cherished time, says Byrd, whose own children are now grown, is the whole point. "Food is a catalyst," she says. "You can get 'em home with food." But now that business is booming, the culinary mogul admits she sometimes finds it hard to hit the kitchen herself. "If it's been a really busy week," she says, "we might just order a pizza."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!