Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Elle King Is Planning a 'Rock and Roll Circus'-Themed Wedding: 'We Pretty Much Just Want to Have a Party'
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Why President Obama's Historic Visit to Hiroshima on Friday Is a Big Deal
- Beyoncé Shares Personal Photos of Her Family: 'I Love You Guys So Deep'
- 23-Year-Old Ukrainian Man Who Allegedly Posed as a High School Student and Had Sex with Minor is Now Charged with Federal Passport Fraud
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 11, 2005
- Vol. 64
- No. 2
Greatest Show on Earth
Backed by His Stellar Speed-Dial and the Historic Success of Live Aid, Bob Geldof Put Together the Sequel, Live 8
I'm in the organization continuum. I don't sleep. I'm sweating now. It is utterly vast. You're talking about 1,000 artists on four continents and the organization around them, which is absolutely huge in each city. Basically it is me on my cell, borrowing offices, moving around—the tap dance around.
You initially opposed doing it. Why?
I'm loath to mess with Live Aid. It was a perfect day.... [And] the world has changed utterly since then. Twenty years ago there were no cell phones; the common form of business communication was telexes. The original shock of being connected with everyone on the planet is what made it work.
What changed your mind?
Bono thought it could work. We argued strenuously. We are really old friends, for 27 years. We talk very bluntly with each other. It's corny, but we are like brothers. He's not King Rock to me. I listen and he listens in turn.
What is Live 8's message?
Fifty percent of Africans are under 15 and [have] AIDS, or no jobs and go to bed hungry. Get on the ONE Campaign Web site [www.one.org]. Call the President. To do nothing is intolerable.
And then will you take a break?
I go with the kids [Fifi Trixibelle, 21, Peaches, 16, and Pixie, 14, with ex-wife Paula Yates, and Tiger Lily, 8, whom he has had custody of since the deaths of her parents, Yates and INXS singer Michael Hutchence] every year to the Balearic Islands. They love it, but it's not really relaxing because you have to do the whole family thing.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!