Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,187 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- There’s a New Cecil Lion Beanie Baby, He Supports a Good Cause
- The Best Photos from the Week of July 27- August 2, 2015
- It's Official! Brad Paisley Joins The Voice as Blake Shelton's Advisor
- Is Jessica Alba's Honest Company Sunscreen Really Ineffective? A Dermatologist Weighs In
- UFC Fighter Ronda Rousey to Star in New Carl's Jr. Commercial
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 24, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 21
Charles Fires Back
Prince Charles Takes Aim Against Rumors Started by yet Another Servant: A Former Valet Whose Tale of Rape and Palace Intrigue Was Recorded by Diana
Tipped off when the Mail on Sunday called the palace for comment days earlier, Michael Fawcett, a former senior aide and right-hand man to Charles, won a court injunction preventing the Mail on Sunday from publishing any further details of Smith's tale.
In the meantime Charles broke his royal silence. With the rumor mill in overdrive, his office released a statement identifying Charles as the royal in Smith's story. "The speculation needs to come to an end," the statement read. "The incident which the former employee claims to have witnessed did not take place."
What incident might that be, exactly? There's the rub. With the gag order in place, the tabloids used innuendo to fill in the blanks. The headline "Is Charles Bisexual?"—courtesy of the lowbrow News of the World—screamed from newsstands across the country. The answer—"Emphatically NOT," according to Mark Bolland, his former PR person—was in smaller type in the story's text. Furthermore, Smith, who is so far the sole source for the allegations, is a notoriously problematic witness: an admitted alcoholic, he has been voluntarily committed to a psychiatric clinic for treatment of posttraumatic stress related to Falklands War service. Many in the British press regard his story as untrue. "That's a widely held belief across Fleet Street," says Daily Mirror correspondent James Whitaker. "But unfortunately the media keep [repeating] it because it sells papers." Smith, who has said he still stands by his story, received about $160,000 to talk to the Mail on Sunday. He says that in 1996 he told his story to Diana, who taped their chat.
That even this latest woe to befall Charles can be traced back to Diana is not lost on royal watchers. "It's the princess coming back to wreak havoc on the house of Windsor," says Burrell. "She is just living on long after her death." Whether Charles will survive the haunting to become a credible king is a topic of debate in Britain, where a Mail on Sunday poll found that 39 percent believe Prince William should succeed the Queen. Much depends on how Charles handles the brushfires that keep igniting in his own household. "The whole thing is unattractive and sordid and degrading," says one of Charles's chums. "And it won't go away."
Simon Perry, Pete Norman, Bryan Alexander and Susan Clarke in London
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!