Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Man in Army Fatigues Arrested in Pennsylvania Theater Allegedly Had Stolen Gun, Ammunition and Respirator
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- JoJo Drops Wiz Khalifa Collab, Announces First Album Since Label Lawsuit: 'I Never Left' – But 'I Didn't Own My Voice' for 7 Years
- Tennessee Dad Drowns While Trying to Save Daughters from Rip Current – How to Stay Safe in the Ocean This Summer
- The Real Story Behind Miss Cleo: How a Junior TV Reporter Blew the Lid Off Her Psychic Scandal
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 24, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 21
Best Pals Cook Up a Way to Feed the Needy
Four years later Borchert and Jackson, both 25, have made stirring up goodwill a full-time mission. With the Campus Kitchens Project, a nonprofit headquartered in St. Louis, they take 500 volunteers on college campuses, including Dillard University in New Orleans and Saint Louis University, mix in food donated by restaurateurs and create hot meals for senior citizens, the homeless and kids in after-school programs. With six kitchens now in operation, the volunteers deliver more than mere sustenance. "They come in and ask, 'Miss Jackson, what can I do for you?' " says Betty Jackson, 66, of St. Louis, whose spinal disease keeps her from standing long enough to cook. "I can expect company twice a week."
Funded in part by a $500,000 corporate grant, the program does have one drawback: It keeps director Borchert—a Nebraska native married to her high school sweetheart, Taylor, 25-and associate director Jackson, who's from New Jersey and single, too busy to cook. Still, "connecting with the community has become like an addiction," says Jackson, "and I'm not planning to try to kick it."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!