Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Brad Pitt 'Cooperating Fully' with DCFS Investigation, Including Drug Test Request
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Octavia Spencer and More React to South Carolina Elementary School Shooting that Left Three People Injured
- FROM Fortune: How America's Next Top Model Made Tyra Banks a Better Businesswoman
- WATCH: Donald Trump Calls Then-Pregnant Kim Kardashian West 'a Bit Large' in Newly Resurfaced Video
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 08, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 23
Christopher Reeve Unveils a New Breakthrough in His Recovery from Paralysis: Freedom from His Respirator
His remarkable progress is due to the successful—and experimental—implanting of four electrodes on his diaphragm on Feb. 28. The electrodes stimulate the diaphragm, causing it to contract and allowing Reeve, 51, to go as long as 20 hours at a time without his respirator. The journey wasn't all smooth sailing. He battled two post-surgery lung infections and pneumonia. "I've also choked a couple of times, because timing the normal breathing while eating is something I had to relearn," says Reeve, who has a son, Will, 11, with wife Dana, 42, as well as two children with former girlfriend Gae Exton, son Matthew, 23, and daughter Alexandra, 20.
Reeve "continues to surprise us," says his doctor, John McDonald, medical director of the Spinal Cord Injury Program at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. "Chris's example really changes the mind-set of everyone: 'Geez, it is possible.' " Now able to smell, sneeze and blow out candles, Reeve—who had his head shaved because of a condition called alopecia, which causes patchy hair loss—sees the breakthrough as his latest step toward recovery. "We're not out of the woods yet," he says. "But the good news is that we're not lost in the woods."
September 28, 2016
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!