- Fancy Meeting You Here: Camilla and Carole Middleton Catch Up at Wimbledon Ahead of Princess Charlotte's Christening
- Read the Cover Story: Growing Up Kennedy!
Exclusive Family Photos from White House Nanny
- WATCH: Channing Tatum in His 2002 Modeling Days: 'I Would Love to Go into Acting' and Meet Kate Moss
- Eva Longoria Makes a Splash in Spain in Tiny Blue Bikini
- Ali Larter: It's 'Totally Impossible' to Be the Perfect Mom
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- December 08, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 23
Christopher Reeve Unveils a New Breakthrough in His Recovery from Paralysis: Freedom from His Respirator
His remarkable progress is due to the successful—and experimental—implanting of four electrodes on his diaphragm on Feb. 28. The electrodes stimulate the diaphragm, causing it to contract and allowing Reeve, 51, to go as long as 20 hours at a time without his respirator. The journey wasn't all smooth sailing. He battled two post-surgery lung infections and pneumonia. "I've also choked a couple of times, because timing the normal breathing while eating is something I had to relearn," says Reeve, who has a son, Will, 11, with wife Dana, 42, as well as two children with former girlfriend Gae Exton, son Matthew, 23, and daughter Alexandra, 20.
Reeve "continues to surprise us," says his doctor, John McDonald, medical director of the Spinal Cord Injury Program at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. "Chris's example really changes the mind-set of everyone: 'Geez, it is possible.' " Now able to smell, sneeze and blow out candles, Reeve—who had his head shaved because of a condition called alopecia, which causes patchy hair loss—sees the breakthrough as his latest step toward recovery. "We're not out of the woods yet," he says. "But the good news is that we're not lost in the woods."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!