Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Wife of Deepwater Horizon Victim Breaks Down as She Recalls Husband's Last Trip Home Before Death: 'Jason, Would Have Never Let Me Worry'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Amber Rose Will 'Embrace Her Body' In a Sexy DWTS Routine After Feeling Body Shamed By Julianne Hough, Says Source
- FROM EW: John Legend to Play Frederick Douglass on WGN America's Underground
- DeKoding KarJenner Style: Kim Kardashian and the Underwear as Outerwear Revolution
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 08, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 23
A Teen Heartthrob Takes His Life
Lonely and Drinking Heavily, Jonathan Brandis—the '90s Star of Seaquest DSV—Hangs Himself
During the movie's shoot last year, Brandis impressed colleagues as an unassuming professional. Even at teen heartthrob apex in '94, when he got 4,000 letters a week, Brandis's sea-Quest costar Roy Scheider told PEOPLE, "he takes his incredible popularity with a grain of salt." A former child actor who had starred in such family-oriented features as 1992's Ladybugs, Brandis seemed to take it in stride when his career cooled in the late '90s. But friends say he was upset when what he hoped would be his comeback-as a POW in 2002's Hart's War—ended up on the cutting-room floor.
Ironically, his role in the yet-unre-leased Squeeze, starring as a CIA hit man opposite Harvey Keitel, may have been his best showcase in years. "Harvey even said to me a couple of times, 'This kid is good,' " Katz recalls. "When we were in the editing room looking at him, we all said, 'This guy's going to have a big career.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!