Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- From Julie Andrews to Carrie Underwood, 50 Years of Solving a Problem Like Maria
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Homeowners Association Denies 6-Year-Old with Leukemia Make-A-Wish Playhouse
- See the Tweets for Harrison Ford After His Plane Crash – And Impressive Prognosis
- Raven-Symoné Is Experimenting with a Platinum Blonde Hairpiece (PHOTOS)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 08, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 23
A Teen Heartthrob Takes His Life
Lonely and Drinking Heavily, Jonathan Brandis—the '90s Star of Seaquest DSV—Hangs Himself
During the movie's shoot last year, Brandis impressed colleagues as an unassuming professional. Even at teen heartthrob apex in '94, when he got 4,000 letters a week, Brandis's sea-Quest costar Roy Scheider told PEOPLE, "he takes his incredible popularity with a grain of salt." A former child actor who had starred in such family-oriented features as 1992's Ladybugs, Brandis seemed to take it in stride when his career cooled in the late '90s. But friends say he was upset when what he hoped would be his comeback-as a POW in 2002's Hart's War—ended up on the cutting-room floor.
Ironically, his role in the yet-unre-leased Squeeze, starring as a CIA hit man opposite Harvey Keitel, may have been his best showcase in years. "Harvey even said to me a couple of times, 'This kid is good,' " Katz recalls. "When we were in the editing room looking at him, we all said, 'This guy's going to have a big career.' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!