Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kate Beckinsale Links Arms with David Walliams After Grabbing Dinner in London
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander's Red-Hot Romance Heats Up New York
- FROM EW: The Vampire Diaries Will End After Season 8
- Bellissima! Jennifer Aniston Looks Chic in Black as She's Honored at Italian Film Festival
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 08, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 23
A Royal Addition
After An Emergency C-Section, Sophie Wessex and Prince Edward Bring Home a Baby Girl
All the more so because, as a Palace spokeswoman put it, "no baby was more wanted." After trying to conceive for several years, Sophie, 38, suffered an ectopic pregnancy—when the embryo grows outside the womb—in 2001. This time everything went smoothly—until Nov. 8 when the countess was stricken with painful stomach cramps at Bagshot Park, her home southwest of London, while Edward, 39, was 6,000 miles away on an official visit to Mauritius. Sophie was rushed to nearby public Frimley Park Hospital with what British papers described as a ruptured placenta. At 11:32 p.m. she bore, by emergency C-section, a 4-lb. 9-oz. girl—eighth in line for the throne. When Edward arrived the next evening, their child had been transferred to the neonatal unit at London's St. George's Hospital, staying for a week before reuniting with Mum at Frimley Park.
While mother and child were separated, the prince "took lots of photos of the baby and put them all around Sophie's bed," says her friend Sian Miletich. He's expected to be a hands-on dad, who "will get stuck in with everything," said the Palace spokeswoman, "including changing nappies."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!