Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mariah Carey and Brett Ratner Stroll Arm-in-Arm in St. Barts After Denying Their Romance
- The Style Top 5: Amal Clooney Brings Her Glam Street Style to NYC, Iggy Azalea Gets Candid About Her Body and More
- We're Dye-ing Over these Easter Egg Designs
- FROM EW: Prince Sued in Legal Battle Over The Voice Singer Judith Hill
- From Homeless to Music Stardom: Doug Seegers on His 'Roller Coaster' Life
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 15, 2003
- Vol. 60
- No. 24
Talk on the Wild Side
Author Maurice Sendak Celebrates Four Decades of Exploring Children's Inner Lives
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
Sendak modeled the monsters in his most famous book on his relatives, "Jews from Eastern Europe [who] were always grabbing your face and saying, 'We could eat you up,' so they became the wild things."
IN THE NIGHT KITCHEN
Set in a vaguely menacing Manhattan, the tale is "a farewell to New York, because I was recovering from a heart attack and knew my health would not permit me to live in the magical city anymore."
THE NUTSHELL LIBRARY
"A parody of the homilies children had to read in the 18th century." Chicken Soup with Rice pokes fun at Sendak's mother, for whom "every solution to life was chicken soup."
OUTSIDE OVER THERE
The Lindbergh kidnapping and "the nightmare of being the youngest of the family," says Sendak (who had two older siblings), inspired this tale of a snatched baby.
"Brundibar was a beautiful opera written by a Jewish composer, sung by the young inmates of Terezin," a camp outside Prague designed by the Nazis as a showplace. Sendak, who lost many relatives in the Holocaust, created an English version with playwright Tony Kushner. "Most of the important books I've done have been about the Holocaust, some very subtly," he says. "This closes the topic for me."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!