Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- FROM EW: Tina Knowles Is the Proudest Mom After Solange Drops A Seat at the Table
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Heidi Montag Discusses the 'Hardship and Prayers' Behind Getting Pregnant
- Ben Affleck on How Parenting Changed Him: 'Your Heart Is Outside Your Body'
- FROM EW: Angelina Jolie in Talks to Star in Afghanistan War Drama Shoot Like a Girl
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 12, 2004
- Vol. 61
- No. 1
Picks and Pans Review: Not the End of the World
by Kate Atkinson
The lines between conventional and eerie are delightfully blurred in this collection of 12 interconnected short stories set in London and Edinburgh. Atkinson deftly juxtaposes reality and magic, mythology and pop culture in conversational, matter-of-fact prose. She is as likely to mention Korn or Air Stewardess Barbie as the ancient Greek name of the North Wind (Boreas). Her subjects are equally eclectic, with mixed results. Those who like their fantasy enchanting and light might be uncomfortable with the sinister notions of a TV critic who has an evil double or a single woman who brings home a stray cat that becomes much more. But they'll cheer when a millennial Mary Poppins rescues the son of a self-absorbed celebrity. At her best, Atkinson does a masterful job with dysfunctional family dynamics, finding in single mothers and children mutual emotional deafness.
- Francine Prose,
- Lee Aitken,
- Amy Waldman,
- Edward Karam.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!