- That '70s Show Star Topher Grace Ties the Knot with Ashley Hinshaw
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Chrissy Teigen's Daughter Meets with 'Auntie' Kim Kardashian – and Even Gets Kanye to Smile
- Tracy Anderson Says Jennifer Lopez's Kids Love to Crash Mom's Workouts: 'Max Is so Full of Energy'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- March 08, 2004
- Vol. 61
- No. 9
Kathy Brier: from Soaps to Hairspray
DAY JOB: One Life to Live's Marcie Walsh
NIGHT JOB: Tracy Turnblad on Broadway
•All work, no play:
With her double life, Brier's days start at 7:30 a.m. at Life's set and end at Hairspray's 11 p.m. curtain call. "I only get three to five hours of sleep," she says. "My family hardly sees me. My friends never see me. But I think it's all worth it."
•Use it, don't lose it:
To the horror of Hairspray's producers, dancing for three hours a night led Brier, who took over as the musical's queen beehive in August, to drop 10 lbs. her first month on the job. "They freaked out!" Brier says. "I'm supposed to play a chubby, overweight teenager." To maintain her size-10 frame, the 5'1" singing spitfire hired a nutritionist who created her a protein-packed diet topped with lots of nut butters.
A year before landing Hairspray, the Staten Island native was cast as One Life to Live's feisty Marcie. "I was only supposed to do two episodes," she says. But after positive fan response, ABC made her a regular. "I look like your average American woman," she explains, "and I get the guy."
"I worry terribly, because any normal human would collapse" under Brier's schedule, says her Life love, Nathaniel Marston. But "she's a human dynamo."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!